Monday, December 19, 2005

Lowestoft the cradle of human activity in Europe

I was initially a bit miffed at one national newspaper that talked about the Costa del Cromer, since Cromer and Lowestoft are a few miles apart, but reading the original scientific paper (always a good move, as, of course, would have been reading that newspaper properly!) made me realise that it was indeed the Cromer Forest, which extends into north Suffolk, even if it wasn't Cromer itself.

Anyway, as someone with ancestral roots in the area, I was very interested to see that old human tools, dating from far before any previously discovered, were found near Lowestoft in Suffolk. If you are a University of Leicester member and on campus, you can read the Nature paper at http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v438/n7070/full/nature04227.html. I have also found the Eastern Daily Press's report (a paper based in Norwich, but it was the one my grandparents read).

No comments: