Thursday, December 01, 2005

Sharing data

This is the subject of an editorial in today's Nature (438(7068), 531, 1 December 2005). The editorial talks about the possibilities of sharing data through web services like Google Base, and stipulating what can be done with the data by others by licensing it with Creative Commons licenses.

Read more (on campus only) at http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v438/n7068/full/438531a.html


The same issue of Nature also has an extended news feature on related subjects, covering wikis, blogs, digitisation and Google Scholar. Some reading for the train home, I think.

Somewhat to my surprise, Nature last week published a letter I sent (correspondence, that is, rather than a "letter" in the Nature sense). It was about how librarians can support academic colleagues who are teaching referencing - I feel able to blow my own trumpet about this one week later!

No comments: