Tuesday, May 13, 2008

25 years since discovery of HIV as cause of AIDS

When I was working in my first library job, a one year post between University and library diploma, there was much talk of AIDS, not all of it terribly enlightening. There had recently been the two research groups that had isolated HIV - HTLV-3, I think was a name that was given to it by one group - and I had work colleagues who could stop themselves thinking about it seriously by viewing it only as a "gay disease" (straight colleagues, presumably - perhaps there still are such people). Anyway, I am made to ramble like this by an editorial in Science, looking at where HIV and AIDS research has got to in those 25 years.

The editorial is:

Bernstein A. AIDS and the Next 25 Years. Science 2008; 320(5877): 717. Available at: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/320/5877/717

This will work on campus only for University of Leicester members.

No comments: