There are many ways to describe this (1). After a few searches on the topic, I tried to come up with a Medline strategy. I think it may include some conditions that Hsu and Chertow would not, but I have this:
1. ((endstage or “end stage” or established or chronic or progressive) adj1 (renal or kidney) adj1 (failure or disease* or insufficienc*)).ti,ab
2. (Chronic adj1 nephropath*).ti,ab
3. (“Chronic uremia” or “chronic uraemia”).ti,ab
4. (CKD or CKF or CKI or CRD or CRF or CRI).ti,ab
5. (ESKD or ESRD or ESRF).ti,ab
6. kidney diseases/ and chronic.ti,ab
7. exp Renal insufficiency, chronic/
8. Renal insufficiency/ AND chronic.ti,ab
9. 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8
This is for Medline via HDAS.
I started with terms I had used previously, and added terms used by colleagues at UHL, MeSH Used For, and terms used in strategies in First Consult, SIGN guideline 103 and NICE CG182. I then asked people on lis-medical, and also had some further suggestions when I circulated the strategy there.
This, for the record, is the version dated 22nd June 2016 with tiny minor amendments made in April 2017 to remove some unnecessary full stops!
(1) Hsu CY, Chertow GM. Chronic renal confusion: insufficiency, failure, dysfunction, or disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2000 Aug;36(2):415-8.