Saturday, April 03, 2021

COVID vaccination



Being of a certain age I recently had a (national NHS, I think) letter inviting me to book my COVID vaccination.   I booked both jabs online and went today for the first one.   For the historical record, here is what happened.

I went to the Sheffield Arena.    It was signposted on the approach as an NHS Vaccination Centre and there were security staff (I suspect a company that usually work at gigs) at the entrance to direct you to the car park and tell you where to go next.

Then to a desk where I put on a new face covering (and had it pointed out to me that I had it on inside out!) and sanitised my hands, and was directed to a check in desk where my details were checked and I was asked if I had COVID symptoms.  The person there wrote out a card with my name and NHS number.   Then another volunteer (wearing the local hospital charity logo) directed me to a space in a queue, where I waited for the screen to open.  Beyond the screen, one person to log my details and check my address, and ask me a few general things (was I a carer, had I driven, was I by myself, that sort of thing).    The vaccinator was a nurse from the local hospital trust, who asked me some more, more medical, questions (had I had a positive COVID test, had I ever had an allergic reaction to a jab, was I on blood thinning drugs) and administered the jab.

Then out of the Arena, via (as is usual these days) a different route.  Past some St John's Ambulance volunteers, and out.

I'd had the Oxford/Astra Zeneca jab.  I was advised to wait 15 minutes before setting off home, in case of a reaction.  Because I drove, I did the waiting in the car, with instructions to flash my lights or put on my hazard lights if I felt unwell.

I have come away with the manufacturer's patient information leaflet, an NHS leaflet, a card recording the batch number and date.   The patient information leaflet has something about the yellow card scheme for reporting side effects, which I knew about, but about the app, which anyone can have, which I did not.

Of course, I got a leaflet asking me to fill in a feedback form (I did it while waiting in the car, before I forgot, it was all excellent, for the record).    And I got a sticker!

No comments: