Monday, June 12, 2023

Taking part in a study

I have tried over recent years to become a more regular blood donor.   So, I signed up for a study of the experience.    Would naming it here cause any sort of bias?    Don't know, but in case, I won't name it.   It does have a record in ISRCTN, which you can look for.   One of the investigators was the lead in another study, which I also won't name, but I was invited to join it.   It has a record in ISRCTN, which you can look for, and in which I can see that I am in Phase 3.   Phase 2 was to test the feasibility of the study design.  This second study is looking at why some people carry Staphylococcus aureus in their nose and others don't.   

I got an email to explain why I was being contacted, with a link for more information, and a link to a questionnaire to determine if I was suitable for the study and with a consent form.    I can't remember the questions now (and I don't think it told me which answers made me unsuitable, which does make sense).    That questionnaire was protected by a password, which was sent separately.

So I did the questionnaire and was deemed suitable.   A second email confirmed that I would be sent a pack of three nasal swabs (remember those?).   

Those arrived, with instructions.   There were swabs, with handles that break off, and tubes of liquid.   After taking the swab, you put it in the tube, break off the handle, and screw on the lid - it is not me who is doing any sort of test to determine whether I have Staphylococcus aureus in my nose - so the tube then is placed in a small plastic bag with some absorbent material, and put in a bag to be posted.

I needed to take the first swab straight away and post it on the same day I took it.   The second was to be taken a week later (I think I did that but I forgot to make a note of the day I took the first one), and the third a week after that.    I was away at this point and had forgotten to take the swabs with me, so rang the helpdesk and was advised to do it on my return.    

I have signed up for a few studies over the years via work when I was more in touch with clinical and research staff, and they were all pre internet.  I found the paperwork for some, so must see if I can find out if anything was ever published.

No comments: