Thursday, September 25, 2008

EndNote X1 tips

This posting is to augment the information at http://www.le.ac.uk/li/research/bibliographic.html and I shall add to it as I realise things. What is on this page applies only to University of Leicester members.

Updated - 1. EndNote 9 has now gone from CFS. You must download EndNote X1. Instructions for doing this are on the link above. Exporting from Web of Science into EndNote (using the "Save to EndNote..." button) appears to fail if you have not installed EndNote X1.

2. You then need to install the EndNote X1 toolbar - go to Start - All Programs - CFS Software 2 - EndNote X1 - Install Word toolbar. Note that Word 2007 has its own referencing facilities (on the References tab) - I personally think this will be too limited for the sort of use we want to make. This References tab is nothing to do with EndNote. If you had EndNote 9 and Word 2007, EndNote appeared on the Add-Ins tab. Once you have installed the EndNote X1 toolbar, it will appear on its very own tab.

3. You can delete the old EndNote 9 toolbar and custom menu, by right clicking them. I can't see a way to uninstall EndNote as such. I have seen the installation of the EndNote X1 toolbar bring up a dialog box asking if you want to uninstall the EndNote 9 toolbar. I don't think this happened to me when I installed X1.

4. You might also have spotted that Word 2007 has a "references" tab. This is Word's own citation tool, which looks to work quite well, but is very basic, only having a very small number of unalterable styles, and it seems that you have to add all your references manually. I'm teaching the Word referencing tool soon so will have more structured thoughts soon.

No comments: